How do I view the 'drz' and 'wht' fits files

rishabhpatilrishabhpatil Member Posts: 1
I downloaded two fits files from https://archive.stsci.edu/pub/hlsp/candels/goods-s/gsd01/v0.5/.
I opened the files in SAODS9 but this is all I see:

DRZ:

WHT:

While the online viewer looks like this:

This is the first time I am working with FITS or data from telescopes. Please help.

Comments

• scflemingscfleming Member, Institute_Staff, Moderator_MAST, Admin_MAST Posts: 35
    You will need to change the intensity scaling to bring out the details seen in the MAST previews. If you are using ds9, then changing the "Scale" to "Zscale" is usually a good first-choice. Then change "Zoom" to "Zoom Fit" to see the entire image. There are several scaling options, and you can further change the scaling with the Scale -> Scale Parameters dialog box. The exact scaling to use depends on your image properties and objectives, but hopefully this is useful to get started.
  • scflemingscfleming Member, Institute_Staff, Moderator_MAST, Admin_MAST Posts: 35
    One suggested set of options: Scale -> Log, then Scale -> Scale Parameters... and change (min, max) to (0, 0.1). These are using the options in the top-most nav bar, though most are also available through the buttons inside the GUI itself as well.